Landships II

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Mk V names?


Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1062
Date:
Mk V names?
Permalink   


Mk I, II, IV tanks were generally named, some becoming famous and well-known by their names; the later Mk VIIIs, or some at least, had names; but what about the Mk V and V*? I can't think of any examples, they tend to be just a call sign and WD number. Or am I wrong?



__________________


Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

By mid 1918 the system of naming tanks by Battalion letter appears to have broken down somewhat, and this coincided with the introduction of the Mark V. However in some Battalions, such as 14th and 15th the system was still in use and so yes, Mark Vs did carry names. By contrast I know of no Mark V names from 10th Battalion.

I'm not convinced that Mark VIIIs had names. Some were photographed at the factory with names of towns that had contributed funds for their construction, but whether these names were carried when the tanks were in service is an open question.

Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1062
Date:
Permalink   

Thanks Gwyn.

I take your point about MkVIIIs, but whether they can really be considered to have been in service is debatable. I'm no expert, I know, but were they not just trialled a little and abandoned?

__________________


Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Certainly weren't taken on many outings anyhow.

Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Corporal

Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Date:
Permalink   

I don't know if this qualifies as a "name" or just a "call sign" but...

Page 30/31 of David Fletcher's "Mark V Tank" (Osprey 178) shows a drawing (artist's rendition) of a female Mk V* named "Odysseus". The caption states that it was from the 10th Battalion, Tank Corps. Examination of the drawing gives the hull number as "9767".

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that information, but a search of "Odysseus" on the forum led to the following photo (ref E04923) at the Australian War Memorial: http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/E04923

Finally, someone here made an awesome model of Odysseus in the "15th Bat": http://landships.activeboard.com/t34081117/markvstar-ehmar-conversion/

If someone can sort that all out, let me know.



__________________


Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Sadly the artist's work in the Osprey on the Mark V isn't up to the usual standards - basically don't trust the paintings as a reference source. I'd like to make clear this isn't David Fletcher's fault (nor I hasten to add mine, since I also get a credit in this book). Odysseus was a tank of 15th Battalion - not 10th Battalion - and the number should be 9839 not 9767. I stick to my original comment that I know of no named Mark V from 10th Battalion.

Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:
Permalink   

Group commanders heavy fleet tank squadron. Moscow, 1925.

93nU39Dhax0.jpg



Attachments
__________________

Кино, танки и хлеб - сим победиши.



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Great picture - new to me. Thank you for posting.

Do you know the number of this tank, please? I can see it is 9??4. What does the name say?

Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:
Permalink   

It name is "Red Army man".

Red Army man.jpg



Attachments
__________________

Кино, танки и хлеб - сим победиши.

PDA


Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1314
Date:
Permalink   

I do hope this is research for a 1/72 Tank Mark V from Master Box. smile



__________________

WWI in 1/72



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Valeriy67 wrote:

It name is "Red Army man".

Red Army man.jpg


 Thank you!

Gwyn



__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Lieutenant-Colonel

Status: Offline
Posts: 165
Date:
Permalink   

Hello Gwin!

This Mk.V may be 9024 or 9034. I think that 9024. 9034 was heavy damaged before it's capture, but well known that 9024 was stil in service after Russian Civil War.



__________________

Regards

Denis



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Hi Denis

Thank you for your information.

I note that the photo shows the tank with a Female sponson, but both 9024 and 9034 are Male numbers, so this tank is probably a Composite / Hermaphrodite.

Might I ask, how do you know that 9034 was damaged? This is interesting information for me, but I know that as I don't read Russian there are many sources that are closed to me.

Thanks

Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



General

Status: Offline
Posts: 305
Date:
Permalink   

About Odysseus, there is a good pic in the David Fletcher book "tanks and trench", I paint my model from it.


__________________


Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:
Permalink   

Mk.V tank "Mikhail Frunze" takes part in a military parade in Red Square in Moscow, 01.05.1925.

Mikhail Frunze (21.01.1885 – 31.10.1925) was a major Red Army commander in the Russian Civil War and is best known for defeating Baron Wrangel in Crimea.

 



Attachments
__________________

Кино, танки и хлеб - сим победиши.



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Thanks very much. Is this a film still?

Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Lieutenant-Colonel

Status: Offline
Posts: 165
Date:
Permalink   

Gwyn Evans wrote:

Might I ask, how do you know that 9034 was damaged? This is interesting information for me, but I know that as I don't read Russian there are many sources that are closed to me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Gwin, I'm sorry, I did not notice this your message. These data are given in the book "Civil War tanks" by Maxim Kolomiyets. Maxim - the most conscientious and well-known author in the history of armored vehicles in the Civil War. His research is based on archival materials and photographs. It always refers the archive codes and numbers of documents that are referenced.

Tank 9034 had the name of Field Marshal Potemkin (Russian military commander of the 18th century, the favorite of the Empress Catherine II)

According to Maxim, the tank 9034 was damaged August 31, 1920 during the attack and persecution of the enemy, which fled away. During this attack stalled tank Ataman Ermak (the leader of the Cossacks of the 16th century). 9034 tried to tow it. However, at this time he was hit by a shell 76 mm in the sponson. After that, 9034 caught fire and it exploded munitions. This tank left on the battlefield in Whites and was evacuated. Later, the tank was captured by the Reds in the city of Sevastopol in the railway station. The inventory of captured tanks, it was noted that it is in not working order, engine stored on the place, one sponson broken.

Gwin, if you do not have this book, I can send a scanned copy. This book was a long time ago and Maxim not be against, I'm sure. I understand that you read it will be difficult, but in any case it will be useful, especially it's illustrations.

6413_[armyman.info].jpg

 

 



-- Edited by Alpha Six on Saturday 5th of March 2016 06:48:52 AM

__________________

Regards

Denis



Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:
Permalink   

Hi, Gwyn!

This image from the documentary "The history of military parades in Red Square. 1 series." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0QpbTZDq0

or http://voinadoc.net/voennaja_tematika_raznoe/video/istorija_voennyh_paradov.html



-- Edited by Valeriy67 on Saturday 5th of March 2016 11:01:17 AM

__________________

Кино, танки и хлеб - сим победиши.



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Alpha Six wrote:
Gwyn Evans wrote:

Might I ask, how do you know that 9034 was damaged? This is interesting information for me, but I know that as I don't read Russian there are many sources that are closed to me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Gwin, I'm sorry, I did not notice this your message. These data are given in the book "Civil War tanks" by Maxim Kolomiyets. Maxim - the most conscientious and well-known author in the history of armored vehicles in the Civil War. His research is based on archival materials and photographs. It always refers the archive codes and numbers of documents that are referenced.

Tank 9034 had the name of Field Marshal Potemkin (Russian military commander of the 18th century, the favorite of the Empress Catherine II)

According to Maxim, the tank 9034 was damaged August 31, 1920 during the attack and persecution of the enemy, which fled away. During this attack stalled tank Ataman Ermak (the leader of the Cossacks of the 16th century). 9034 tried to tow it. However, at this time he was hit by a shell 76 mm in the sponson. After that, 9034 caught fire and it exploded munitions. This tank left on the battlefield in Whites and was evacuated. Later, the tank was captured by the Reds in the city of Sevastopol in the railway station. The inventory of captured tanks, it was noted that it is in not working order, engine stored on the place, one sponson broken.

Gwin, if you do not have this book, I can send a scanned copy. This book was a long time ago and Maxim not be against, I'm sure. I understand that you read it will be difficult, but in any case it will be useful, especially it's illustrations.

6413_[armyman.info].jpg

 

 



-- Edited by Alpha Six on Saturday 5th of March 2016 06:48:52 AM


 Thank you very much!  I have this book.  It is just that my Russian is not enough to understand it!

Gwyn



__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

Valeriy67 wrote:

Hi, Gwyn!

This image from the documentary "The history of military parades in Red Square. 1 series." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0QpbTZDq0

or http://voinadoc.net/voennaja_tematika_raznoe/video/istorija_voennyh_paradov.html



-- Edited by Valeriy67 on Saturday 5th of March 2016 11:01:17 AM


 Thank you very much.  I shall watch the video.

Gwyn



__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.

PDA


Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1314
Date:
Permalink   

Gwyn Evans wrote:
Valeriy67 wrote:

Hi, Gwyn!

This image from the documentary "The history of military parades in Red Square. 1 series." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0QpbTZDq0

or http://voinadoc.net/voennaja_tematika_raznoe/video/istorija_voennyh_paradov.html



-- Edited by Valeriy67 on Saturday 5th of March 2016 11:01:17 AM


 Thank you very much.  I shall watch the video.

Gwyn


At about 19m00s in the Youtube movie.  



__________________

WWI in 1/72



Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:
Permalink   

Soldiers and commanders of the Red Army against the background of the British tank, after 1919.

http://collectphoto.ru/

 



Attachments
__________________

Кино, танки и хлеб - сим победиши.



Major

Status: Offline
Posts: 122
Date:
Permalink   

The men in the left photo are wearing their rank on their collars. Collar rank for the RKKA was introduced in 1922.

__________________


Colonel

Status: Offline
Posts: 216
Date:
Permalink   

TinCanTadpole wrote:

Mk I, II, IV tanks were generally named, some becoming famous and well-known by their names; the later Mk VIIIs, or some at least, had names; but what about the Mk V and V*? I can't think of any examples, they tend to be just a call sign and WD number. Or am I wrong?


 

As for US troops using MK V or V* that had names, I have record of the following:

9111  "The Anglin" 

9015 "Baby Doll"  (most likely a post-Armistice naming). "

9017  "Bison III"

9352 "Neptune"

9397 "Natal"

9429 "Newmarket"

9893 "AGONY" over a white-painted square (the N is painted backwards)

 

John

 



__________________

John A-G.
Hudson, WI USA



Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1269
Date:
Permalink   

See my April 3, 2012 post. Five years old but still accurate. Gwyn

__________________

Britain to Stay in EU. We are the 48%.



Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:
Permalink   

Tank Mk.V "What's the matter?" was part of the 2nd motorized Red Army detachment. The 2nd Tank Detachment of the Red Army took part in the seizure of Georgia in 1921.

 



Attachments
__________________

Кино, танки и хлеб - сим победиши.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us